At AIM Fire and Security, we specialise in all aspects of fire safety, including fire extinguishers Edinburgh. Our experts are able to safely supply and fit high-quality fire extinguishers for premises across Edinburgh and Scotland.
While fire extinguishers sit in premises, ready for action, unless there is a fire emergency, they are very rarely thought about. However, there are some interesting and live-saving facts about fire extinguishers which we have listed in this article for you.
Interesting Facts About Fire Extinguishers Edinburgh
- The first portable fire extinguisher was invented in 1818. It was a copper container and was filled with both pressurised air and potassium carbonate.
- Before you can use a fire extinguisher, you need to know what type of extinguisher you have and whether it is suitable for the fire. Different fires could include wood and paper fires, electrical fires and cooking oil fires.
- In the UK there are around 500 fire-related deaths each year. The majority of these deaths occur between 12 am and 6 am when most people are asleep.
- The first patented fire extinguisher was in 1723. It was invented by Ambrose Godfrey. It worked by using gunpowder and fuses in order to expel liquid.
- Fire extinguishers can discharge incorrectly which could lead to an explosion or even death. To prevent this from happening as much as possible, fire extinguishers should be checked and regularly maintained.
- Fire extinguishers are usually red in colour so that they are highly visible in case of emergencies. In fact, only red fire extinguishers can be Kitemarked.
- Handheld extinguishers are usually between 0.5 to 14 kilos in weight making them portable enough to direct at the base of the fire.
If you need fire extinguishers for your premises or perhaps fire extinguisher servicing, then AIM Fire and Security can help. Let us know your requirement by filling out our quick contact form.